Most jerk chicken recipes are made using brown sugar in the marinade. Here is a sugar-free version that isn’t lacking in the flavor department. Serve this with Jalapeño Lime Cole Slaw to round out this healthy dish.
- 8 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 jalapeño peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 4 scallions
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp liquid aminos
- lime zest from two limes
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
SERRANO LIME SLAW
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 4 tbsp chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 store bought package cole slaw
- In a food processor combine all marinade ingredients and process until smooth.
- Place the chicken in a large, sealable plastic bag along with the marinade and coated evenly.
- Marinade for about 3 hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Remove the chicken from the marinade and place the pieces on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. the top section of the broiler pan. Bake for 35 minutes.
- While the chicken bakes prepare the cole slaw by combine all ingredients, except the cole slaw in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Place slaw greens in a large bowl and toss with the dressing. Season with salt and pepper and let sit 30 minutes before serving.
- One the chicken is done baking, switch the oven to broil on high and broil the \chicken for 5 – 10 minutes
- Serve with the cole slaw and enjoy.