A delicious slow cooker recipe that is heavy on the protein and light on the carbs. This chili recipe substitutes portobello mushrooms for beans, making it easier to digest and won’t leave you feeling bloated afterwards. Simply brown the meat, add the remaining ingredients and let the slow cooker do it’s thing!
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin oil
- 1 lb. ground grass-fed beef
- 1 lb. ground bison
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 jalapeno’s, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled & diced
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 portabello mushroom caps, chopped
- 3 cups beef stock
- 3 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- Green onions, thinly sliced, garnish
- Shredded white cheddar cheese
- Sour Cream
- Prepare the ingredients. Slice the jalapeño’s, chop the yellow onion and mushroom caps, and dice the garlic cloves, sweet potatoes, carrots, celery and chicken.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion, diced garlic, sliced jalapeño’s, diced chicken, ground beef and bison, 1 tsp. sea salt and black pepper. Cook and break up the beef as you stir, until the beef is no longer pink. Add 1 tbsp. chili powder, 1 tsp. smoked paprika, and 1 tsp. cumin. Stir until well combined and add to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add the diced sweet potato, mushroom caps, carrots, celery, crushed tomatoes, beef broth, cayenne pepper, 1 tsp. cumin, 1 tbsp. chili and 1 tsp. smoked paprika to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve warm with desired toppings.