- 3/4 cup oat flour (note: you could probably sub flours of do 1 1/2 cups total of a single flour, instead of 2, if you’d like)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 single serving applesauce (or 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup PACKED, triple washed baby spinach, chopped by food processor into small bits (see photos above)
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 – 1 tsp lemon zest (depending on how lemon-y you want it)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, plus extra for topping
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare a 12 cup muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Add dry ingredients into a medium bowl and whisk together.
- Whisk to beat egg and sugar together till light (I did this by hand for just a couple minutes).
- Whisk in the rest of the wet ingredients.
- Pour dry ingredient mixture into the wet ingredient mixture, add 1/4 cup walnuts if desired, and stir gently just to combine – do not over-mix.
- Pour muffin batter into muffin tin cups – about 3/4 full each. If using walnuts, sprinkle walnuts on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 14-17 minutes until centers set or a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool at least 10-15 minutes before serving.
Makes 12 muffins