Don’t let the picture fool you. This is a tasty recipe that takes just a small amount of effort thanks to that wonderful contraption… the slow cooker. All the taste of a chicken burrito minus the tortilla.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless free-range chicken breasts
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- In the slow-cooker, combine the chicken breasts, diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup of chicken broth, chili powder, salt, and cumin.
- Cover with the lid and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Add the rice, black beans, frozen corn, and the remaining chicken broth. Continue cooking on low for another 4 hours.
- Stir the rice once or twice during this last cooking period.
- Once the rice has evaporated the liquid, use forks to shred the chicken breast and mix throughly.
- Season with salt and pepper and top with a cheese and salsa of your choice.